Skip to main content

Nuisance neighbours

Report to us if you are suffering noise nuisance.

Noise Nuisance Reporting

  • Loud music/noisy parties
  • Dogs barking
  • Household noise

If you are suffering from noise nuisance this could be investigated in a confidential manner. We work with Tower Hamlets Environmental Health Environmental Protection (EHEP).

Being a good neighbour

You should be able to enjoy life in your home. Good neighbours will tolerate the different lifestyles of people living near them as long as they don’t cause a nuisance. Good neighbours will also understand the impact their behaviour may have on their neighbours and act accordingly.

We want you to be able to enjoy your home and neighbourhood. By following these basic rules, we hope all residents will enjoy their homes fully.

SHA encourage all residents to become involved in the local community and to take an active role in improving their health and well-being. This can be through getting involved in or starting a new Tenants Association or participating in activities at the Hason Raja Centre. Our residents can access the services offered from Selby Street Community Centre and other local provisions.

Action we can take

If there is sufficient evidence of noise nuisance action will be taken against identified perpetrators.

Reporting noise nuisance

Contact Spitalfields HA on 0207 392 5400

You can also contact Tower Hamlets Council:

During office hours: 020 7364 5007

Emergency out-of-hours noise patrol: 020 7364 5007 or visit for more information.

EHEP officers can witness noise incidents and have the power to take legal action against those responsible for statutory noise nuisance. Confiscate the instrument etc

Incident logs

Log sheets are important to gather evidence as this helps identify patterns and trends of noise nuisance.

They should be completed whenever an incident occurs. It must have the date, time and description of the noise being experienced. When completed they should be returned to your housing officer.

Dealing with the problem yourself

Sometimes the most effective option is to discuss the problem with your neighbour.

Often people aren’t aware they are causing a problem. If that doesn’t work the Mediation Service may help you resolve a dispute. Contact your housing officer for more information.

If this informal approach is not successful you should report the incident to us. Also contact the council’s EHEP section.