Skip to main content

Pest control

Pests can fall under the council or SHA's responsibility. Please read below to find out more information and how to report on pests.

Working with the council to safely manage unwanted pests and infestations

Common pests found in homes around the UK include rodents (such as mice and rats), insects (such as ants, bed bugs, cockroaches, and wasps), and birds (such as pigeons).

SHA hold a service level agreement with Tower Hamlets Council. SHA residents should contact Tower Hamlets to undertake pest control.

Report to pest control

Here are some common methods and practices used for pest control in SHA homes:

  • Pest Inspections: A service-level agreement exists between SHA and Tower Hamlets Council to conduct inspections to identify the type and extent of pest infestations in your home. They will assess the areas of infestation and determine the best course of action.
  • Pest Proofing: Preventing pests from entering your home is crucial. Pest control professionals can identify and seal entry points, such as gaps in windows, doors, and utility pipes, to prevent pests from gaining access.
  • Traps and Baits: For rodents like mice and rats, traps and baits can be effective. Snap traps, glue traps, and humane catch-and-release traps are commonly used and can be purchased from hardware or convenient stores. Additionally, rodenticide baits may be used by professionals in accordance with safety guidelines.
  • Insecticides: Insecticides are commonly used to control insects like ants, bed bugs, cockroaches, and wasps. Pest control professionals can apply insecticides in targeted areas, treating nests, hiding places, and entry points.
  • Biological Control: In some cases, natural predators or parasites may be introduced to control pests. For example, ladybugs can be released to control aphids in gardens.
  • Fumigation: Fumigation is a technique used for severe infestations or specific pests. It involves sealing off an area and using gaseous pesticides to eliminate pests. Fumigation is typically carried out by licensed professionals.
  • Bird Control: To deter birds like pigeons from nesting or roosting on buildings, measures such as bird spikes, netting, and deterrents are used. These methods are designed to make the area unattractive or inaccessible to birds.

Call SHA today to discuss any pest control issues you have and we will help direct you. DIY pest control measures may not always be effective way, particularly for extensive or recurring infestations. In such cases, it is recommended to seek professional pest control services via Tower Hamlets Council.

Contact Pest Control at Tower Hamlets Council
Call: 020 7364 5007

Pest control products: important buying advice

We are sharing this advice after two separate fatal and life-changing incidents have taken place in Tower Hamlets.