Skip to main content


This page answers some of the frequently asked questions from SHA residents, which may be similar to your enquiry.

Frequently asked questions by residents of SHA

How do I report a repair or maintenance issue in my property?

You can report a repair or maintenance issue to SHA either online via our portal, by contacting the repair helpline or maintenance team. They will provide guidance on the reporting process, which may involve filling out a form, making a phone call, or using an online portal. It’s important to report repair issues promptly to ensure they are addressed in a timely manner.

Can I make changes or improvements to my rented property?

The ability to change or improve your rented property depends on your tenancy agreement, SHA policies and local planning rules. Each local authority and home will have its policy regarding alterations, and they may consider factors such as the nature of the alteration, potential impact on the property’s structure or safety, and whether it complies with legal and regulatory requirements.

It’s important to check with SHA staff beforehand and to obtain permission for any alterations or improvements you wish to make.

How can I pay my rent and other charges?

You can visit this page for more information, or SHA will provide information on different payment methods for your rent and other charges. This can include direct debit, standing order, online payments, or payment cards. They will also assist you if you face difficulties meeting your payments.

What are the rights and responsibilities of the resident?

  • Payment of rent: Residents are responsible for paying their rent on time and in accordance with the agreed-upon terms. This includes understanding the rental payment schedule, payment methods, and any applicable service charges or utilities.
  • Maintenance and care of property: Residents are typically responsible for taking care of the property they occupy. This includes keeping the property clean, reporting any basic repairs or maintenance issues promptly, and adhering to any rules or guidelines regarding the use and upkeep of the property.
  • Compliance with Tenancy Agreement and SHA Policies: Residents are expected to comply with the terms and conditions outlined in their tenancy agreement. This includes following any rules or policies set by the housing association, such as noise regulations, waste disposal guidelines, and restrictions on alterations to the property.
  • Respect for neighbours and the community: Residents are responsible for behaving in a considerate and respectful manner towards their neighbours and the wider community. This includes being mindful of noise levels, keeping common areas clean and tidy, and being aware of the impact of their actions on others.
  • Reporting issues and concerns: Residents should promptly report any maintenance issues, repairs, or concerns related to the property or the surrounding environment to SHA. This helps ensure that necessary actions can be taken to address the problems.
  • Participation and engagement: Residents are encouraged to participate in activities and initiatives organised by SHA. This can include attending community meetings, providing feedback, and engaging in resident-led initiatives aimed at improving the community.
  • Be neighbourly: All residents have the right to live in a safe and noise-free home and surrounding environment. Residents must consider their neighbours and the impact of any actions, and reduce any harm caused to others. Read SHA’s Anti-social Behaviour (ASB) policy for further information.

What should I do if I have problems with my neighbours?

If you are experiencing problems with your neighbours, it is best to first try resolving the issue by communicating with them directly and calmly. If the problem persists, you can contact SHA’s housing management team who can provide guidance and support in addressing the situation. You can find out more information here.

Can I transfer to a different property or area within SHA?

Transfers within SHA are possible although it depends on availability, eligibility criteria, and your current tenancy agreement. You can inquire about transfer options and discuss your situation with your housing association’s housing management team. More info can be found on this page.

Can I transfer to a different housing association property?

Transferring to another housing association property, also known as a mutual exchange, is possible in some cases. However, this is subject to availability, eligibility criteria, and the agreement of both housing associations involved. It’s recommended to contact the local Council or SHA staff to inquire about their specific transfer policies and procedures and if you see another housing association that you would like to move to.

How can I get involved or have a say in decision-making processes?

Many housing associations like SHA encourage resident involvement and provide opportunities for residents to have a say in decision-making processes. This can include tenant forums, resident associations, participation in consultations, and joining scrutiny panels. Inquire with SHA on the available avenues for resident involvement. More information can be found on this page.

What should I do in case of an emergency or urgent situation?

In case of an emergency or urgent situation, such as a gas leak, severe water leak, or major security concern, it is crucial to prioritise your safety. Contact your housing association’s emergency helpline 020 7392 5400 immediately, which is available 24/7, to report the issue and seek appropriate assistance.

What is a housing association?

A housing association, also known as a social landlord or a registered provider, is a non-profit organisation that provides affordable housing to individuals and families. Housing associations are usually independent organisations that work in partnership with local authorities and other stakeholders to meet housing needs in the community.

How do I apply for housing association housing?

To apply for housing association housing, you need to complete a housing application form with the local Council. You can find more information and the link to the form on this page or get assistance by contacting their housing department directly. It’s important to provide accurate and up-to-date information on your application to ensure fair assessment.

How is rent determined in housing association properties?

Rent in housing association properties is typically calculated using a formula set by the regulatory authorities. The formula takes into account factors such as the size and location of the property, local housing market conditions, and the income of the household. Housing associations aim to set affordable rents that are below market rates to ensure accessibility for low to moderate-income individuals and families.

Can I buy a housing association property?

SHA might be able to offer the opportunity for tenants to purchase their rented property through a scheme called “Right to Buy” or “Shared Ownership.” However, the availability of these schemes and eligibility criteria can vary depending on the housing association, your property agreement and government policies. It’s best to inquire with your housing officer directly to understand if purchasing options are available.

What responsibilities do housing associations have?

Housing associations like SHA have several responsibilities, including maintaining and managing the properties they own, ensuring the properties meet regulatory standards, collecting rent, providing repairs and maintenance services, offering support and assistance to tenants, and promoting community well-being. They should also engage with tenants and involve them in decision-making processes that affect their homes and communities.