Skip to main content

Home insurance

SHA tenants are able to find out more information on what is covered under the build insurance and the reasons for taking out a separate contents insurance.

Buildings insurance

SHA will make an Insurance Claim where there has been damage caused to the building as a result of fire, criminal damage or storms. Where there has been criminal damage, the incident must be reported to the police.

The claim will be restricted to the building and not the contents e.g. carpets or decorations; these items can be covered by the tenant’s own house contents insurance so it is very important that you take out your own contents insurance. There may be occasions where damage occurs to your belongings as a result of a defect. For example if a leak occurs in the property above yours and your home is flooded you may suffer the loss or damage of a carpet or other contents. In these cases, if Spitalfields HA is not responsible for the cause of the leak, we will not be responsible for paying for the replacement goods.

Contents insurance

It is therefore extremely important, if you want to avoid this kind of situation, that you insure your belongings and arrange for home contents cover. The National Housing Federation has arranged low cost content insurance especially for social housing tenants. This is the My Home contents insurance scheme.

It is provided by the National Housing Federation in conjunction with Thistle Tenant Risks and Allianz Insurance plc. This scheme is available for all tenants and residents living in social and affordable housing.

Further details of My Home can be obtained through the following ways:

Telephone 0345 450 7288
Online enquiry

However, residents are also advised to get other quotes from other companies for comparison.

N.B. SHA is not responsible for offering advice about home contents insurance and cannot become involved in insurance schemes