Education grant / application
The Spitalfields Educational Grant Fund has been established by Spitalfields Housing Association to help residents towards funding for further education that will assist in enhancing employment opportunities.
Please use these guidance notes to help you with the completion of the application form. Please note that you must complete all sections of the form in order for you to be considered for the grant.
- Funding is available to help individuals with education, to contribute towards:
- Course fees
- Childcare costs
- Equipment such as stationery (not computers)
- Travel costs related to course of study
The limit for funding for each individual is £500. We do not fund 100% of the costs.
- Residents of Spitalfields Housing Association aged 18 to 60 years old. This does not include residents under the shared ownership or leaseholder
- We would expect applicants to have a good rent payment record
- Applicants can only receive one grant
- Preference will be given to those actively seeking work
- Evidence required
- Name of resident
- Address of resident
- Relationship to resident if not main resident
- College prospectus
- Acceptance letter
- Letter from course tutor on headed paper
- Book list with prices
- Other equipment required for the course
- Name and address of childcare provider and proof of payment to provider (receipt)
- Description of travel required – receipts for travel to amount of grant awarded will be required in due course
We expect you to provide evidence (where possible) such as receipts for the above.
- Completing the application form
1. Applicants Details
In this section you are required to provide us with your:
- Address and
- Contact details
You are also required to state whether you are the main household resident or a family member. If you are a family member, please state the full name of the tenancy holder and your relationship to them.
If you have applied for a grant from Spitalfields before, please ensure you state details clearly.
2. Course Details
- Tell us why you are applying for the grant for example, to complete an on-going course to help you study further or to help you gain paid employment. In this section you are asked to attach evidence of the course which you wish to partake or that you are already studying – you may provide us with a copy of the prospectus, website details, letter of acceptance, etc
- State clearly the name of the course for which you wish to study e.g. BTEC in Finance
- State where the course is being held e.g. Open University, East London University
- Provide details for a contact person from the college or place of study e.g. this could be the administration officer, course tutor, etc
- State how long the course will last e.g. one year, 6 months or 4 weeks, etc
- State the name of the qualification you will gain by studying this course e.g. BTEC, diploma, etc
- State the date of when the course you wish to study starts
- Briefly explain what you wish to gain from studying this particular course e.g. to help you understand the topic more clearly so that you can pursue a career within that subject etc
3. Details of the Grant Required
- State the full cost of the course e.g. £850.00
- State the amount you are applying for e.g. £350.00
- State the date by which you wish to receive this grant
- If the total cost for the course is higher than the amount you are applying for, please tell us how you intend paying off the balance e.g. if the course is £850 and the amount you are applying is £350, you have £500 outstanding to pay. Therefore, you must state how the remaining will be paid e.g. savings, loans, other grants, etc
In this section you need to list all the items / activities that make up for the total amount of grant you are asking e.g.
Item / Activity Cost (£) BTEC Finance Course Fee 250.00 Travel (£10 per week for 4 weeks) 40.00 Childcare 50.00 Stationery (pen, paper, memory stick) 10.00 Total £350.00
In this section you simply have to tick your current status.
This section is important as it states that you will follow the requirements needed in order for you to benefit from the grant. If this section remains un-signed your grant will not be processed or permitted.
Spitalfields would like to feature articles in our residents’ newsletter –we would like to feature experience of receiving the grant and what it has allowed you to do in our publicity. Having your article featured will encourage others in pursuing further education.
This section is required. We ask these questions so that we can ensure that we are fair in the way which we cater for the wider Spitalfields community. This way we can also identify if there are any gaps in the services that we provide to our residents.
Please also state where you heard about the educational grant e.g. residents’ newsletter, website, word of mouth etc.
This section is to remind you of what is required as part of the grant application.
Once your application is completed, please send the signed copy to Spitalfields Housing, 78 Quaker Street, London E1 6SW.
For further information or help with your application form, please contact Murselin Islam, Community Development and Resident Involvement Officer on firstname.lastname@example.org or on 020 7392 5407